Return to Sport: The Role of Physiotherapy After Brain and Orthopaedic Injury
A multidisciplinary approach is essential when returning to sport after a brain or orthopaedic injury. Physiotherapy is a vital part of this rehabilitation process alongside other therapists, care staff, nurses and doctors. (1)
Physiotherapists can help assess the injury and develop a personalised rehabilitation plan. They work with you to set rehabilitation goals and get you back where you want to be. They also provide support and guidance throughout the recovery process.
Physiotherapy for Brain Injuries
After a brain injury physiotherapists can help you return to sport by…
- Improving balance and coordination (2)
- Regaining strength (3)
- Managing pain and fatigue
In some cases, physiotherapy may also include cognitive training to help with memory, attention, and concentration.
Physiotherapy for Orthopaedic Injuries
After an orthopaedic injury physiotherapists can help you return to sport by…
- Improving range of motion (4)
- Regaining strength
- Regaining mobility
- Managing pain and inflammation (5)
In some cases, physiotherapy may also include exercise therapy to help you return to sport. (6)
- Eglė Lendraitienė, Aleksandras Kriščiūnas. Physical Therapy for Persons with Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Emmah Baque, Leanne Sakzewski, Lee Barber, Roslyn N Boyd. Systematic Review of Physiotherapy Interventions to Improve Gross Motor Capacity and Performance in Children and Adolescents with an Acquired Brain Injury.
- Nisha Aravind, Lisa A Harvey, Joanne V Glinsky. Physiotherapy Interventions for Increasing Muscle Strength in People with Spinal Cord Injuries: A Systematic Review.
- Himmat Dhillon, Sidak Dhilllon, Mandeep S Dhillon. Current Concepts in Sports Injury Rehabilitation.
- Elise Duchesne, Sébastien S Dufresne, Nicolas A Dumont. Impact of Inflammation and Anti-inflammatory Modalities on Skeletal Muscle Healing: From Fundamental Research to the Clinic.
- Joseph E. Bielecki, Prasanna Tadi. Therapeutic Exercise.
Author: Bilal Sheikh
Bilal is a co-owner and director of Creative Physiotherapy ltd. Bilal is a Chartered Physiotherapist with advanced skills in neurological rehabilitation and musculoskeletal injuries. He is interested in using technology to enhance rehabilitation.